Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking for opinion from some of our more advanced wrench turners out there. I've been watching a lot of reviews on the new TorqAmp electric turbo and I have to say, aside from the price, it looks really interesting.
I am not real sure if our GT motor (6G75) is considered a "low compression" engine or not, but their claims are only 3 to 5 psi boost. I know there are a few maniacs on our forums that have turboed the GT motor, and tons who have done so to the 4 banger motor.

What are you guys' thoughts on this little toy turbo? Would it even work? Would I need some magic tuning (hackish) to make it run well?
Since these things restrict airflow when they aren't running, would that mess with mixture ratios when it's not engaged enough to make it run like crap?

I'd love to hear a discussion of these (there's another one available out there that seems to be getting some coverage too, the "phantom").

I'm probably not willing to dish out $2,500 for one of these, but if the price dropped to 1K I might be tempted to try it out.

Too ricey or just too pricey?

·
Gamer
6,900 Posts
I would not put that on any engine honestly, my main reason is because it restricts air flow when not energized, which is going to cause lots of problems, starve the engine for air, and your MPG is going to drop dramatically.

And for the V6 engine that Electric turbo is way to small,
You would also need it to be tuned, which would be hard since it's not a constant boost signal

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's what I was thinking (about air restriction). They kind of need an actuated side air inlet to increase the flow to normal when it's not engaged.

I thought I heard someone say once that anything more than 8psi would damage this motor, so I thought this might be an easy bolt on'ish way to kick the HP over 300, which seems to be the high end of bolt ons for the 6G75. I know a real turbo kit (which seems to have to be piece-milled together) would be well over $3,000 (plus having the knowledge to do that, or finding a shop that will take the risk of messing up your car) and labor.

Anyone else have thoughts on these little hairdryers?

My first thought was this reminded me of the guy who "supercharged" a car using 4 electric leaf blowers... which obviously didn't work, lol.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,284 Posts
I'm gonna be short and sweet here because this topic has been beaten to death.

It will not add power, it does not flow enough air to add any power, anything over ~170hp WILL lose power, and that is backed up by the company's own dyno testing. It is TOO SMALL for a GS, don't even consider it for a GT

The 6G75 is also a HIGH compression motor, not low

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering how long it would take for that post title at attract the Sabertooth! LOL.

I didn't know anyone had brought this thing up (I knew I'd seen a discussion or two about those terrible cheap ebay turbos).

I won't waste another brain cell thinking about this then. I've learned to trust you about these motors bro!

Everyone have a Happy New Year!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,284 Posts
You can make 400whp on an eBay turbo sooner than you will make 262 crank with the torqamp

eBay turbos hate high boost pressure, but on an engine that flows a lot of air from either revs or displacement, you don't need as much boost as a lower flowing engine. The GS needs about 15-20psi on any eBay turbo that will spool happily, where as the GT would need about 10psi, which is generally safe on those knockoff turbos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts