Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have the '07. Love the car, baby it. Got it at 120K, immediately did timing belt and all associated parts (water pump, etc). Also changed trans fluid, didn't flush because I've heard way too many horror stories. Coming up on 180K so gonna do both again. I'm just wondering how many miles to expect outta this transmission 馃 I've heard people getting a lot. Guess I'm just nervous approaching the 200 mark. What's been y'all's experience? Thanks

Basically Stock
Yes it is, but I drive it in sport 100% of the time to preserve what I can.
That doesn't help. While it may shift fewer times, it shifts harder every time.

You can expect the lifespan of the trans to be a direct representation of how well it was maintained. Eg, a fluid change every 60,000km, you're in for a long life on the trans, even if beaten on a bit (at stock power or similar). But if the first change was around 150,000, then for sure the life is significantly reduced

My thinking was less number of shifts would preserve the life of the trans but Sabertooth above said it just shifts harder by using sport mode so guess not
Sport mode makes the PCM shift the trans harder because it has these algorithms for 鈥渟hift firmness鈥 in normal D mode that it doesn鈥檛 use as much in sport mode, hence giving you the 鈥渟port feel鈥

it does this in different ways such as not retarding the engine timing as much when it goes to make a shift, and the speed and ways in which it engages and disengages the solenoids in the trans

honestly with the Fastworks tune, I personally find sport mode to be useless now compared to the stock tune, because the tune will rev out to redline and shift when you WOT in D mode now and will still shift smoothly; whereas the stock tune would shift too early

Registered
That doesn't help. While it may shift fewer times, it shifts harder every time.

You can expect the lifespan of the trans to be a direct representation of how well it was maintained. Eg, a fluid change every 60,000km, you're in for a long life on the trans, even if beaten on a bit (at stock power or similar). But if the first change was around 150,000, then for sure the life is significantly reduced
Not to high jack the thread, but how long do GT MT, clutches axles etc usually last?

My 2nd gear grinds a bit, but only when cold and only on up shifts. After things warm up it鈥檚 fine. Down shifts are a little stiff when cold, but it鈥檚 fine once it warms up. However it doesn鈥檛 grind at all if I double clutch, so I鈥檓 not too worried. For now.

Basically Stock
It's incredibly rare for anything aside from the synchros dying in the manual boxes. Bearings usually only go bad from strong abuse and poor maintenance.

It sounds like your second gear synchro is going out, but if you haven't changed your fluid, consider getting some from the dealership and running OEM fresh oil, or MT90 if you're tracking it

Registered
I agree about the 2ndgear syncro.

I鈥檓 at 112,xxx km鈥檚 I figure the clutch should last longer? if not I know where to get a light weight flywheel that would be cool to out in while it鈥檚 apart

Basically Stock
Hopefully not the Aasco one that was up for sale for 200usd. That one just sold to a guy in Manitoba.

About 180,000km is pretty reasonable on a 4G clutch. Highway vs city will of course change things, so will driving style. Mine lasted 170,000. I got the car at 133,000. Those 37,000 included me learning to drive and race a manual clutch car, and of course, the actual racing, primarily drag.

Registered
Not sure if it matters, but mines an 06 v6 model, 180k on original transmission and still runs great. Done a fluid exchange on it one time since I've owned it in 6 years.

Registered
Not sure if it matters, but mines an 06 v6 model, 180k on original transmission and still runs great. Done a fluid exchange on it one time since I've owned it in 6 years.
Auto or manual? 180k miles or kms?

180k miles and auto transmission. Not sure if it applies to the 4 cylinder, but I would be more concerned about the catalytic converter. I've replaced 1 so far and now the second one needs to be replaced.
180k miles on 1 fluid change is a lot of miles on that fluid

Registered
180k miles on 1 fluid change is a lot of miles on that fluid
I got it at around 110k if I remember correctly and changed it at about 160k. It still shifted like new, I only did it because I think the manual says 75k? I could be wrong about that.

I got it at around 110k if I remember correctly and changed it at about 160k. It still shifted like new, I only did it because I think the manual says 75k? I could be wrong about that.
Good to hear
Got mine at 120k and changed it once at 140k with a fluid suction pump in the dipstick hole
Thinking about pulling the drain plug this time and cleaning the magnet to change the fluid again next time I do my engine oil

Registered
Good to hear
Got mine at 120k and changed it once at 140k with a fluid suction pump in the dipstick hole
Thinking about pulling the drain plug this time and cleaning the magnet to change the fluid again next time I do my engine oil
It really is a solid transmission. I just got a 2016 mazda 6 to be more of a commute car and the transmission in it doesn't feel as good as the eclipse and it's only at 40k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts