Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after what seems to be years me and my wife finally buy a 4g eclipse tonight from a used car dealership. we took it for a small test drive and it seemed fine. we did all the paper work shook hands and we were on our way in a 2006 eclipse gt v6 with automatic transmission with sport shift or what ever its called. we stopped at the wawa right next door, picked up some subs and started our drive home.

not two miles from the dealership we were cruising at 35-40mph when the transmissions slips out of gear. felt as if someone pushed the shifter into neutral but it was clearly still in drive. the engine stayed on but the transmission was not engaging. i acted quickly and pulled over as fast as i could before i nearly got rear-ended. i tried putting it in park then shift back down to drive but it still would not engage. so i turn the car off and on, then put it in drive and it worked. went down the road not two blocks when it did the same thing.

so i thought it might have had something to do with shifting from neutral to drive, so i decided to try and use the sport shift. went down the road maybe another mile so i thought i was in the clear and would address the problem with the dealership in the morning. unfortunately, it did it again in the middle of the street. luckily for me there was no traffic so i could turn the car off and on again and try and get to some where safe. but yet again it happened. turned it off then on and was lucky to get to safe spot. i just got home, im tired, insanely frustrated and just want some answers from 4g owners so when i go face to face with the dealership tomorrow they dont try and feed me some bullshit.

so, my question is, what could cause the transmission to completely slip out of gear and not allow the transmission to re-engage unless the car is completely turned off and turned back on again?

i read as much as i can bare trying to find anything that might be linked to this on the forum and many others as well as what ever the web brought up, but i honestly found nothing. so i am hoping starting this thread will get me some answers.

thanks to any with insight on this situation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Haven't heard of this before, but you may want to have it brought in to a shop and have them pull codes with the OBD scanner. With the faults you listed, it should be more then enough to have tripped a code or two in the computer.
It could be electronic, such as a faulty solenoid that some Ford pickups are known to need replacing in the transmission.
It could be mechanical, such as something with the shifting mechanism that's slipping out.
Have you tried looking at the tranny fluid on the dipstick? Just to see where it's at. While warmed up and running ofcourse.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had that happen to me before when I was driving and hit ice the tracation control kicked in and even though I was hitting the gas its like the car is in neutral. See if it does it if you turn off traction control. There should be a button on your driver side left side to turn it off. That sucks because you just got the car. How many miles are on the car? I do know that even though you got it used that the 10 Year 100K powertrain warranty is still valid.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Read the fine print for a 30-day return policy or something. Take it back to the dealer and tell them "NO GO". See what they say to that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dealer already picked it up last night and towed it back to their lot. i did not get a chance to check the trans fluid. i know i should have checked all of that prior to even driving it off the lot but my wife had me a bit irritated when we were buying the car so i was not thinking clearly. when ever i buy a used car i usually have a check list i run through in my head... any how, i went in this morning and only the mechanics where there. i asked several question but unfortunately all i got out of him was is "we have to check it out". i will be going back later to talk with the guy that sold it to me.

i searched like crazy last night and i found nothing regarding this problem. so i know its not a common problem.

as for the warranty, that ship has sailed. it has 127,488 miles. nothing i can do there.

i dont know if my wife even wants to keep it. it scared the shit out of her when it popped out of gear. we will see what she wants to do. but as of right now, i dont think she wants anything to do with it. you know its bad when she doesnt say anything....

thanks for the replies and keep them coming if you have had similar experiences

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read the fine print for a 30-day return policy or something. Take it back to the dealer and tell them "NO GO". See what they say to that.
i will be looking into this as i go over the contract with a fine tooth comb. i wanted to be there during all the paper work so i could as my usual questions but i had my son with me and had to keep him entertained.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As already mentioned, they have a 10 year powertrain warranty, and/or is it 160k or whatever comes first? I'm also to the impression that the warranty is transferable from original owner to new owner. Worst case scenario, Mitsubishi themselves should take care of it. My gf just got her 2008 only a month ago. This car is still relatively new to me, and even I was slow to check over all the fluids until 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its always whichever comes first. in my case the miles over 100k voids the warranty even though its only been 7-8 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dealer kept the car for the weekend and gave us a loaner. first, the head mechanic said that he test drove it and there was nothing wrong with. then ten minutes later someone else said they replaced the trans fluid filter because it was clogged... makes you wonder who is lying to me. they are making it real hard for me to trust them with their conflicting stories.

it is possible that the clogged trans fluid filter would cause that, but now i have to verify if it was actually done.

any how i asked them to put some miles on it to make sure its running 100% before i put my family in it again. hopefully they are as honorable as they claim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it sucks big time. took some convincing on my part since my wife was skeptical about buying a used car and BAM. that shit happens. what a headache this has turned out to be

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the same thing in an 07 eclipse my car slips into gear usually near two snd fifth gear however my problem started happening after i got a hole in the tcs and it started losing pressure. Simply had to replace the tranny.

·
Elite Member
71 Posts
My moms car does the same thing everyone and then, and we had hers diagnosed as the Throttle Body staying wide open, I'm not sure if that's the problem you were having, but just something else for you to check into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for input but it was a definitely a transmission problem. the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. the shifting problem is gone, but other things are now showing. looks like i have to replace the motor mounts as they are squeaking. i thought the squeak was from the lowering springs but its squeaking now when the car is not even moving. there is also a slight wobble from the front right, either the wheel or wheel hub.

but other then that its a very nice car and i am sure i can take care of the minor problems myself if needed. i was just worried about the transmission as that is not exactly a cheap fix.

to be continued...

·
Elite Member
71 Posts
thanks for input but it was a definitely a transmission problem. the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. the shifting problem is gone, but other things are now showing. looks like i have to replace the motor mounts as they are squeaking. i thought the squeak was from the lowering springs but its squeaking now when the car is not even moving. there is also a slight wobble from the front right, either the wheel or wheel hub.

but other then that its a very nice car and i am sure i can take care of the minor problems myself if needed. i was just worried about the transmission as that is not exactly a cheap fix.

to be continued...
Glad you got it worked out. I know all about how expensive transmission problems can be... I literally just had to replace mine Friday, completely out of pocket. :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ouch! that must have hurt your wallet. there are still a few things i need to address with the dealership. hopefully it will go over smoothly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having similar problems on my 09 GS, bought it and after a few hundred miles the gear display would blank out and when I went to change gears, only park would go into place, but when it cools down it works again. That happened for a little bit then the whole problem disappeared. Now after adding a few thousand miles its doing it again and only Reverse is catching this time. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the transmission also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts