Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm new to cars and the research I've done hasn't given me any clear issues. I have an 07 eclipse 2.4 L 5 speed manual transmission. It's starting to go out on me, and I'm trying to find a 6 speed replacement for it. Can I go out and pull one from a Spyder to do that, or is there more to it than just that?

Thanks in advance for any help

· TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
287 Posts
Only 6 speed that I know of that would bolt to our engines would be the evo 8 6-speed and that would require an awd swap.

As far as replacement goes, unless you want to put in a lot of extra work, you're limited to the eclipse 5 speed. (F5M42-2-V5P)

I've heard that any F5M42 trans should fit, but they'll potentially have different gear sets. And I'm not 100% positive if they're similar enough to be interchangeable.

· Registered
14 Posts
So, I'm new to cars and the research I've done hasn't given me any clear issues. I have an 07 eclipse 2.4 L 5 speed manual transmission. It's starting to go out on me, and I'm trying to find a 6 speed replacement for it. Can I go out and pull one from a Spyder to do that, or is there more to it than just that?

Thanks in advance for any help
Had to go thru the exact same issue. My 2009 5 speed standard started making noises and took it to a local Transmission Shop. Turns out the input shaft bearing was bad and that's when the fun began. The shop refused to rebuild since Mitsubishi neglected to offer specific rebuild kits for my model year. So I was left with searching for a used replacement. After weeks and numerous false leads, I found one at a Miami Salvage yard. I won't say what I paid but had I known then what I know now, I would have refused the offer. When installed, the input shaft bearing was also bad. Frustrated I decided to go on my own and search the internet for a rebuild kit. I was able to locate a bearing kit from USA Standard Gear for a F5M42 Transmission thru Rock Auto. It was the last in stock and jumped on it. When received, the kit was for a F5M42 but the model year listed was 2000-2004. My reasoning at this point is a F5M42 internally is the same no matter the year so I had the mechanic use the bearing kit for a rebuild. This was back in July and so far, there has been no issues and satisfied with the decision. Those who own 5 Speeds likely know the frustration with the F5M42 and hoping that my experience is of some help. The Bearing Kit number is 74151 and serial ZMBK497A.

· Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
8,161 Posts
Bearings and seals yes. Synchros I believe also work. Gearset itself is different.

I've been looking at Hyundai and Kia cars with Theta/Sirius engines. I'm trying to find a junkyard AWD trans option that isn't an Evo as most "world engine" cars should have a trans that physically fits the engine. Wiring and gearing will likely all be different, but that can be worked around

1 - 4 of 4 Posts