Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  BlankWave 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I've soaked up what I can from past threads concerning ECOM and I have the following info to preface this troubleshooting with.

1. I have the stock Rockford Fosgate factory unit, though I have not visually confirmed the amp is stock.
2. I bought the car used and there does seem to be some evidence that an aftermarket unit may have been in the car at some point. There is a drilled hole in the back bumper, a perfect circle, off center and underneath where the license plate area is. My mechanic friend thinks they backed into something perfectly round, but the hole really does look perfectly drilled; even if that is not where most people would put a backup camera it seems worth noting. I was thinking one possible reason for the (hypothetical) silly rear camera placement might be the horrible rear visibility of the Spyder when you're backing out of a space? Additionally some of the the carpeting in the trunk is all loosey-goosey like somebody had to wire something.
3. The subwoofer seems like it is working to me. That bass is strong AF.

So here is where I'm at. I'm intermittently getting ECOM errors with the RF headunit. It comes and goes. I might think a wire was loose and is being knocked around while driving, but the ECOM also comes and goes sometimes while the car is parked.

I don't really care TOO much about it, except that I have a Spyder. That comes with an annoying bonus issue for us convertible owners. When ECOM resolves itself, if the top is in a different position than it was when the ECOM started, it beeps loudly to indicate the position of the top and then does a "sound adjust". Every time it happens it grinds on my nerves a little more, so it would be cool to solve it. If that's confusing, it would go like this:

Top is down. ECOM shows up.

2 Days later, Top is up and has been up all day. ECOM suddenly resolves and the display starts working, but it only just realizes the top is up so it beeps to let me know and then does the "sound adjust".

I die a little inside.

I have been behind the head unit when I installed my AUX cable and everything appeared snug. Since the subwoofer is also working, I'm thinking my problem could potentially be the wiring that communicates between the convertible top and the display. I have no clue how that wiring works. Perhaps something in the trunk area that is being jostled around by the things I have sliding around back there? Taking things out of the trunk might explain why ECOM sometimes resolves when the car hasn't moved, and that area is right behind the convertible top storage.

If anyone's got ideas, I'm all about them. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I figured a potential wiring issue with the convertible top might not get a lot of response. I'm going to poke around the storage area and trunk and see if I can spot a loose connection. If I find anything I'll leave it here for other unlucky Spyder owners.

I figure once I put a touchscreen headunit in, the main symptoms should stop since the ECOM error will be permanent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.