Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since recently moving to Portland, I've seen exactly zero 4Gs, so not sure if anyone here knows or cares, but I'm trying to figure out how to pass emissions/smog test.

I have RRE headers and stock tune. Since moving up here I've been consistently getting P0137 and P0157 either active or pending. I keep clearing them, then hope to get through a drive cycle and take Oregon's DEQ (smog) test so I can get registered.

So far no luck, and I'm assuming pending codes will fail.

I reached out to Stayer for a tune, so at least codes will be gone, but I'm worried about getting tested too soon after a reflash. A while back guy at RRE told me having too few starts for an older car will fail a smog test. This true of the DEQ?

·
2,787 Posts
Those codes mean your bottom O2 sensors are not seeing enough dirty exhaust/activity

Do you have O2 spacers on them? Are they old? You don't have cats in the manifolds from the RRE headers? And you have O2 spacers? Try drilling the holes in the spacers a little bigger so that the bottom sensors see a little more exhaust.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, headers have spacers and were installed at RRE a year ago, 1 of the o2 sensors was replaced then. Not sure how big to drill holes w/o ruining them, but I might try that.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,283 Posts
Most Scan tools over $15 have an emissions readyness readout.

Took me about 20 minutes for mine to go from reset to ready last spring. Start it up, go for a little highway drive, pull over, restart engine, highway, pull over, restart engine, go to your test. It's not the exact procedure, but worked for me.

·
2,787 Posts
Most Scan tools over $15 have an emissions readyness readout.

Took me about 20 minutes for mine to go from reset to ready last spring. Start it up, go for a little highway drive, pull over, restart engine, highway, pull over, restart engine, go to your test. It's not the exact procedure, but worked for me.
A lot of car's readiness monitors will only check once the car has had time to cool down and sit for a period of time, like overnight, before some of them will begin to test, just depends on how the test parameter conditions are programmed into the PCM, varying from car to car, manufacturer to manufacturer.

I know on this car, the evap monitor will only do a check after sitting and cooling down to a certain temperature range during start up, heating up to a certain temperature within a certain amount of time, and then you driving a certain steady speed of about 55 mph for an extended amount of time, and then try letting go of the accelerator pedal and let the engine and friction slow down the car and it will check the evap monitor then

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Tell me, do you know the parameters for emissions testing? After setting the tune, your emissions will be within the same range as before. California may have stricter emission standards. But in other places must pass the test.

·
2,787 Posts
Tell me, do you know the parameters for emissions testing? After setting the tune, your emissions will be within the same range as before. California may have stricter emission standards. But in other places must pass the test.
Are you talking to me?
I require no emission test where I live, I’m just talking about the OBD 2 readiness monitors in general on the car computer

With the Hackish tune with cat efficiency at 100%, the Cat readiness monitor will usually pass after the first drive

It’s the Evaporative check that takes forever (and then eventually fails on my Eclipse... :/)

Stayer, does your tune have the ability to modify emission testing readiness monitors, logic tests on them, or codes?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My scanner has an I/M readiness reader, so I erased pending codes again and will monitor closely for next 20-30 miles. If all clear and ready, I'm getting tested, then getting Stayer tune. If not, I'm getting Stayer tune and waiting a few weeks before getting tested. This sucks, but at least I have a tune to look forward to.

·
2,787 Posts
If you flash a tune you will lose your readiness monitors again

Flashing the tune caused my car to get all kinds of weird codes in a lot of the different computer modules in the car from lost communications with the others while the PCM was being flashed, recommend a full system scan tool to clear all codes in all other modules once you have the tune in the car that you like

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Maybe I don't fully understand the question. Topicstarter is worried that he will not be able to pass the emissions test. Right? I replied that the emissions are no more than before setting the tune. If you know how the test is conducted, what parameters (in figures) should show, then report. Still, as I understand it, he removed the catalyst and installed RRE headers.
The melody is tuned to a lean AFR mix. And it gives a smaller emissions than a stock tune without a catalyst. This will meet the Euro-2 emissions standard.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you know how the test is conducted, what parameters (in figures) should show, then report. Still, as I understand it, he removed the catalyst and installed RRE headers.
The test does not include tailpipe emissions, only OBDII scan for codes. If I can make it through a drive cycle without O2 sensors causing pending codes, I should be alright to test.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Since I was constantly throwing codes P0137/P0157, I went ahead got a tune from Stayer. The tune is wonderful, but something I was not aware of was the Stayer tune completely disables the O2 sensors. This means it will never be I/M ready, meaning it will never pass a smog/emissions OBDII test.

I've read so many reviews for Stayer I don't know how I missed this, or how this isn't an issue for everyone in the US. Most states require this test.

My stock cats had failed, so I can't go back. I asked Stayer to keep the tune and activate the O2 sensors, thinking I would do the drilled spacer option. That's not possible at the moment was he'll need to create a new custom tune for this. I'll pay him to do this but is an option that others could use too?

What have other Stayer tuners done to pass smog tests?

I cannot wait for this be over.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Yes, I also appeal to users who have previously installed the firmware. No one came to me to connect the O2 sensors. Either you do not pass the test or you have the opportunity to bypass this procedure.
Emission regulations have been established in Europe. Each time they are tougher and tougher. Called Euro 0 through 5 and beyond. Eclipse and similar cars are Euro 3 (E3). I think the us has the same rules.
Previously, when flashing, no one asked me to create a monitor E3. That is, to show the readiness of O2 sensors, and the operation of the emission system. However, I want to say. If you have not installed the stock exhaust , that will illuminate the "check engine" lamp.
Approximately after the new year celebration, I began to receive requests to create an E3 monitor from the owners of Honda, Toyota and other brands. from the US.
Have you changed the rules of inspection?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts