Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have an auto GT, and currently, all I have performance-wise is a 3 inch exhaust from the cats back (no resonator, no muffler, no third cat). Anyways, I love my car, but I wanna get a little more power. I saw this turbo on Ebay that says its specified for our cars. Its by turbonetics, so its not a no name brand. I was wondering, if I were to purchase this, is there anything I'd have to do prior to installation? Or is it as simple as just installing the turbo without having to do anything?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
eBay sellers will sell an item labeled as working with a specific vehicle, but all it really is is a "universal" kit that could, theoretically, work with any vehicle given enough fabrication. There is no direct bolt-on turbo kit made for our vehicle, especially the GT, because there isn't enough room in the engine bay to fit a turbo.

I'm willing to bet this kit is under $1000, yeah? If so, it's going to be terrible quality. Even if you managed to fab on, it would break and corrode in only a few thousand miles and possibly cause damage to your engine. Do you have a link to said listing?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Unfortunately, installing a turbo is not as easy as some racing games would lead you to believe, and because everything would have to be custom, it'd be that much more difficult/expensive. Honestly, big power is nice, but the 3.8 is pretty hardy in of itself and responds very well to bolt ons and tuning. It'd be a wiser choice to go down that path and end up in the neighborhood of 300whp than to bother with FI and its complexity.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with pj, if you do all bolt ons and eventually build up internals then youd be set for the turbo when that time comes, but if your going to turbo spend the money on internal things to build a strong motor that can take real turbo pressure, thats first before even begining install, thats my opinion other members can help with finding resources for strong parts, im not turbo. But just trying to help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.