Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope someone here can help. Having an issue with my 4g 2006 GS 2.4. Hope someone can help. I'm really sorry this has to be my first post - I'm no car guy (but trying to become one!) but I know I can fix this myself.

Two weeks ago, on the day I moved house I was driving back to my old place to clean and it stumbled on the highway. As I'm pulling into my old parking lot it stalls and died and would start, but choke and stall. Chucking out black smoke, won't idle and looks to be spitting unspent fuel out (super rich?) the exhaust.

Had to move and decided to deal with it later.

Come yesterday I get an ODB reader and it throws P0101 - MAF sensor. So, today I grab a can of MAG cleaner and head over there. Found the first issue - stripped screw holding the MAF sensor in. But got it out, cleaned it and put it back in. Car started, idles (kinda) but really rough and as soon as I step on the gas it hesitates and revs, but then when I let off it dies.

So I notice that I have some kind of aftermarket air intake that has no stock box - a silver stainless pipe that goes all the way down to the dirver's side wheel. There's a filter down there but it's torn up like it's been hit by something - obviously need a new filter but now worried that some crap has gotten into intake system.

So I check the service manual and see that there's a second connection into the air intake resonator that is not connected to anything - the pipe just goes straight to the main intake. As I understand it, the resonator is there to make the engine quieter? Obviously, the first owner wanted it to be loud so bypassed it. I think that shouldn't affect this.

However, this is where I am at. Do I order a new MAF sensor and air filter and try that, or is there something else to check for before I do that? Many thanks for reading and sticking it out this far!

My second problem I've actually had for a long time but never been able to fix or track down. When accelerating from a standing stop or roll, as soon as I hit approx 20-21mph I get a very noticeable "wobble" from the driver's side front wheel well (at least that's what it feels like). As soon as I hit around 27-30mph it goes away and doesn't come back. Does not happen under braking either and doesn't affect steering. Two shops have been unable to track it down and I kinda gave up on it.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
Sounds like you have a DC Sports cold air intake that needs a new filter. The resonator chamber doesn't need to be used, I don't even have the resonator on my car anymore.

I'd say order a new MAF sensor, especially if you tried using cleaner on the one you have, because that can damage the sensor.

Not sure about your 2nd issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks! That would explain the DC sticker "shadow" on the back window. Figured someone liked their shoes!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check your CV axle for that wobble. I know when mine start flinging out grease, or have flung most of it out, they start to get that slight shimmy before they go bad and start exhibiting the full signs of bad CV axles like clicking when turning.

Could be quite a few things though. If the shop didn't check the actual wheel (I'd really hope it would be the first thing they check), it could could be off balance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your CV axle for that wobble. I know when mine start flinging out grease, or have flung most of it out, they start to get that slight shimmy before they go bad and start exhibiting the full signs of bad CV axles like clicking when turning.

Could be quite a few things though. If the shop didn't check the actual wheel (I'd really hope it would be the first thing they check), it could be off balance.
I thought that too - possibly the axle or the CV joint in it but the wheel being out of balance would happen at all speeds and under braking, wouldn't it?

A small update. I got the intake off and it's a Fujita cold intake, which apparently isn't made anymore. I got the broken off stud out by soaking the stud and tapped hole in PB Blaster for 24 hours. Came right out.

Ordered the new MAF sensor and dry filter. I'll post pics later of the old one. Completely destroyed. I hit something hard and considering where I live, I really should have an intake that's a little higher up. Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap one that sits in the engine bay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I can find one for cheap in a breaker yard it's not an option - when I bought the card it had this intake on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A lot of guys here would give an arm and a leg for an F5 lol, might interest someone in a trade for the stock box + cash?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Keep the intake just look for a filter that's shorter. Look in autozone they should be like 15 bucks if that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, good news (*fingers crossed*)

Got the new MAF sensor and air filter in the mail yesterday. Put them in with the newly-cleaned Fujita intake today. Did a full ECU reset, put the key in and crossed everything that could be crossed and...

She LIVES! In fact, she's purring like a kitten. Never been this quiet since I owned her.

Drove her back to the new house and no issues at all. She's safely in my new garage now, so I feel much better. TY to all those who posted and helped. o7

Now I have some things to attend to on her:

New plugs and coils (been 60k miles since they were changed AFAIK)
New driveshafts (I think my CV joint is bad hence the knocking)

But best of all...

Complete repaint!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts