Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
07 GS 5spd (still working on it)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone got any info on preference for header either RRE or OBX? Everything I find is on older posts. General consensus is OBX is a little cheaper and slightly more powerful but may have some O2 sensor problems to solve....RRE is a little more expensive, a little less power but easier to install.

Anyone got any opinions on this that are based on more recent experience? I am probably not going turbo so this is one of my last mods and want to make the best decision. Getting tuned in June as well. It is my daily driver but also have a street car drag racing night in July...and I do not want to lose to one of those new turbo Ford Rangers ever again! (he also had it tuned but, a loss is a loss)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sooo my Y pipe has come apart right at the down stream flange, on the y pipe side of the flange. Potentially the 3rd cat is plugged or getting plugged and the flange was weak too but either way the Y pipe needs to be fixed now… it Seems RRE headers reuse the Y pipe and OBX provides a new Y pipe…or does it make sense to get a new flange welded onto the stock Y pipe and start thinking about a cat back?

the whole exhaust system is getting…crispy…

·
resident crossplatformer
1,394 Posts
For all out power, OBX.

For normal driving, RRE
what do you mean by normal driving for RRE? What is meant with OBX not being as good for this?

aside, RPW has headers that are at least theoredically compatible; they work with the 380, which is basically a modified 9g Galant, it might be worth taking the $689+ shipping for some really high quality headers to see if they are compatible

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Normal driving, being street use and occasional play. All out power, racing and only racing.

The OBX being long tubes biased towards the higher rev range, giving noticeable drops in bottom end which RRE didn't give. But the design supports a higher power output in the high rev range, which is preferable for most types of racing.

Those RPW seem to match the RRE styling, however, including that Y pipe, if it fits, is a game changer. The stock Y pipe size is fine, but the design of shooting one bank's exhaust up to the other head of the engine is terrible.

·
resident crossplatformer
1,394 Posts
interesting, I didn't think that headers at this level would have this much of an influence. RPW has a weirdly inverted description of their headers with some (but not all) long tubes being reccomended for low to mid end with some but not all short tubes being for mid to high end, I guess go with what the product description says. Heads up, they will re use pictures from product to product if they are close enough in design, I would email them for off the shelf pictures to be certain, they may or may not send you not off the website pictures

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
That's fair.

But, long tubes are always for upper end rev range, short tubes always for low range. It has to do with how long the airflow of each cylinder is separated. It has to be tuned for the RPM, and the pipe volume tuned for the displacement. Or, like most, they just get it kinda close and there you go xD

·
Registered
84 Posts
Disclaimer This post is primarily for someone in the future looking for more Information.

With my Y pipe having broken, I looked at my entire exhaust, and it’s crispy…I know I’ll have to figure out something sooner rather than later. For now I’m hoping the break at the flange can be welded and I’ll limp along until a more permanent, replacement solution can be done. For the Y pipe, and the entire exhaust from that flange back. But I also dont love those restrictive manifolds either.

Anyway…

As per earlier posts, we know about OBX and RRE, RRE not having the Y pipe I was intrigued by the RPW. So I started poking around and found a post on the forum from 10 years ago: info from RPW in Euro market for 6g75 non Mivec

Specifically this part:

“RPW 3-1 Race Design Long Tube Headers - bolt on system. These do not any require welding and adapting to be fitted to the vehicle and will bolt up directly to the factory exhaust system just before the third cat converter. These are a long tube 1 5/8" diameter and will produce strong torque gains at low rpm, strong mid range withouth restricting the top end performance. This design replaces the factory short manifold followed by the primary cat converter with a long tube header. The system will enable the removal of the two primary cat converters, significantly increasing air flow through the exhaust system.
This design has significant improvements over the factory system, and can be setup to avoid a CEL - check engine light. This system will requre relocation of the rear Oxgen Sensors (The vehicle runs four O2 Sensors) with the rear two requiring extending and relocation after the third remaining cat converter.
In some situations where a CEL light still occur, after this relocation, anti foulers can be utilised to try and rectify the problem. At the very worst, this will only bring up an emmissions check engine light..
Please note - this vehicle requires very specific extractor design to avoid creating a CEL light, that will not cause a Limp Home Mode Situation. Fitment of Mitsubishi Magna systems will not fit the 380 vehicle due to a chassis change.
This package has been independantly tested to adds around 10 - 15kw at the flywheel with increased torque and improved upper acceleration and rpm range. Approx value around $900 fitted.”

I’m intrigued enough to send an email to RPW to find out more. I know the post is titiled “…6g75 non mivec” but worth asking about given the advantages of the Y pipe.

Reactions: fox_brand

·
resident crossplatformer
1,394 Posts
The 4g/9g v6 platform is weird on how exhaust is routed (down and back up over the front cross member) vs the older platform 3g/8g (straight shot out), had Mitsubishi designed the cross member to allow straight shot exhaust, there would have been backwards compatibility for old platform headers. However given the additional room, the rear header can be at least theoretically better designed for more even and less restrictive exhaust

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 4g/9g v6 platform is weird on how exhaust is routed (down and back up over the front cross member) vs the older platform 3g/8g (straight shot out), had Mitsubishi designed the cross member to allow straight shot exhaust, there would have been backwards compatibility for old platform headers. However given the additional room, the rear header can be at least theoretically better designed for more even and less restrictive exhaust
I heard back from RPW this weekend and they confirmed, their headers will not fit because of that crossmember/design of the Y pipe going over the crossmember. Dang.

·
resident crossplatformer
1,394 Posts
I heard back from RPW this weekend and they confirmed, their headers will not fit because of that crossmember/design of the Y pipe going over the crossmember. Dang.
was that with using 380 designed headers or with headers designed for the older platform?

·
Registered
84 Posts
380 headers. Literally the link you posted.
However, got my Y pipe fixed today and the suggestion they had was to custom build a Y pipe that joins the headers further down after the cross member.

Interesting idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts