Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I'm about to replace the valve cover gasket for my GT.
Some people adds a little dip of gasket sealant around the corner... others don't ...
What did you 4g fellow do for your valve cover gasket?
I tried to look for that on the manual but couldn't find the chapter..
Does anyone know what chapter it is under?
Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh..great..
Do you know what page on the manual mention the replacement process?
Thanks..

·
Registered
2006 GT Manual.
23 Posts
If people do that, it's usualy to hold the seal in the cover while installing it. It's not usually for extra sealing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If people do that, it's usualy to hold the seal in the cover while installing it. It's not usually for extra sealing.
That’s what I’m thinking too..
I used to put a little dap where the half moon area (metal to metal) but I guess we don’t need any for the 4G..

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
Found it. Thanks a lot.
Funny it’s called “Rocker cover gasket”:D:D:D
To hide the rocker arms under the rocker cover! But yeah, I agree. Valve cover is such a more common term that gets more to the point.

The service manual is funny sometimes xD. It makes it tough to find stuff

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I’ve really only heard the term ”rocker cover“ used for Harley’s

·
Registered
327 Posts
Assuming both surfaces are super clean and smooth you can run a gasket dry. I got in the habit a using Indian Head Gasket Shellac years ago and I love it. I put a very very thin layer on before the gasket. It is designed to fill in any imperfections to aid the gasket. Back when valve covers were removed a lot more than today to make adjustments, etc. it was pretty common to have a less than stellar surface for the gasket to work with. This stuff was almost needed. Get those back plugs while your in there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don’t use gasket sealeant. Use valve cover gasket glue to hold gasket in place so you can Seat it properly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha. Yup. Same bottle for like 50 years.
I read the direction and it said this will help if there is small gap between the gasket and block.. If this is applied, the gasket can't be reused which means you can't move the gasket around..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don’t use gasket sealeant. Use valve cover gasket glue to hold gasket in place so you can Seat it properly.
I didn't use anything. I just push the gasket in the groove with my finger and tight all 6 bolts to 31in-lbs .. no leak so far...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts