Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, one thing I've never purchased out of all the cars I've had is a set a rims. I'm sorta clueless on this, I got a few questions. I have s techs installed, 08 spyder. What outset, rim size {20x10.5?}, an tire size will have me sitting flush with the fenders? Sorry I'm a noob with wheels. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Search around the forum a bit Travis. I promise you'll find more than enough info. Search "wheel and tire fitment"
I have looked around, an I've found alot of people saying all different things. None of which give me the correct answer I need. I mean I may be blind an just missing that one post that gives me the exact info I need. Can you just give me a fitment sizes, rim an tire wise that would be good? Sorry if im being a pain. I just want to get something different other then my stock 18in plastidipped rims.

Edit: Im trying to sit flush with the fenders, an only about a inch from them. Like i said I'm sitting on s techs. I was debating on getting wheel spacers, 25 rear 20 front for my stock rims for the time being. Ive came to the conclusion its not worth dropping the 250 on them when that can go towards a set of nice rims.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here is a link to tirerack's Tech-center. TireRack.com - Tire - Tech Center
There are a lot of short articles on everything you can think of and will need, just scroll through and KEEP READING ARTICLES in wheel AND TIRE sections. once you understand what goes into the "right" wheel for your application then you can ask which sizes are good if you still don't know. I say this because people have different goals be they stance, drag racing, road course, an autox category, OEM replacement, etc. Figure out what you're wanting from a wheel and tire package then browse through the link tcsoccer09 just gave you to get an idea of what different width and offsets look like. We can't give you an answer because there are variables that you have to decide on, a 10in wide wheel can sit flush and so can an 8in wheel depending on alignment and/or offset.

For instance, a super dished stance wheel looks beautiful and can sit flush at the top of the fender...but sucks for performance. They are heavy, hard on wheel bearings, ride like crap, tires are stretched too much to function as designed, and the suspension alignment and geometry is so F***ed up its almost dangerous to drive. It looks gorgeous but there's a tradeoff. You say you want to have an inch of wheel gap, are you willing to sacrifice suspension geometry? Because without camber plates you will be sacrificing some function of your suspension going that low. You lose wheel travel and you go into a bad zone of the MacPherson strut geometry where you will gain positive camber under hard turning...thats the opposite of what is supposed to happen. Also the factory wheel can sit flush with a stock alignment of 0 camber and a big enough spacer...there is a range of wheels, not just one size. Figure out what you can and can't live without in terms of braking, steering effort, performance, ride quality, and appearance, then you shouldn't need anyone to tell you. A lot of us put in a lot of time figuring out what we want and you should do the same.

Here's a link to the 4G factory wheel specs
http://club4g.org/board/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/1511-stock-wheel-sizes-tire-profiles.html
compare these numbers to the ones people list out and show in the fitment thread and you can build a setup for what you want. But like I said you can make a lot of wheels fit flush depending on how you go about it. Happy researching :bigthumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought the Eagle MSR 048 wheels in black . . . they also make them in chrome.

http://4wheelonline.com/Images/MSR/products/msr-048-black.jpg

I have a white spyder with black top so I wanted to go with the black wheels. I LOVE THESE WHEELS!

A couple of notes . . .

1) They use the skinny lugs so I had to buy all new lug nugs.

2) When I bought them they vibrated like hell! I took it to the shop two more times to get them re-balanced and aligned . . . only helped a little. I did a lot of searching and finally bought some hub-centric rings and the vibration went away COMPLETELY! After-market wheels are designed to fit many cars so the center hub us usually larger than your stock wheels. Putting on lug nuts makes them lug-centric which is not centered and causes vibration. Hub centric rings fill the gap between your factory hubs and your aftermarket wheels. I paid $20 for a set of hub rings for my wheels.

You can find wheels for your car here . . . http://www.msrwheels.com/iconfigurators/

Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The configurator I posted show a picture of your car with each set of wheels so you get a preview of what it will look like :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts