Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow 4g brothers, little question… which is the best brand/kit for water pumps?
Ive researched a bit and seen that some kits off of rock auto are china made water pumps that don’t last too long and aren’t the best OEM replacement for a Japanese built engine.
I just need some advice as to which brand is non-china made and basically has the best quality before just buying a random kit.
4g Gt btw please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I track my car with 20' of extra coolant pipe with the pump that came in the gates timing kit without worry or issue. It's a metal impeller, and gave me no reasons to worry.
Ok thanks for the feedback From what I’ve seen thats the kit most people buy with little bad reviews online and pretty decent price. But I’ve also heard that it’s a china made pump?Not sure 100%, did you do take further preventive steps for making sure it won’t leak like gasket maker etc. ?
U got a nice 4g btw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is where i got the gasket.

Genuine OEM Gasket Part# MD188352 Fits 1994-2012 Mitsubishi: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | Mitsubishi Direct Parts

It's currently cheaper than when I got it. Gates waterpump gasket was hit or miss and could have a slow leak. That's y I went with OEM.
View attachment 104070
Can’t thank you guys enough I’m so glad I have a brother hood like the 4g club backing me, I just order the gasket and little o ring for the coolant pipe oem. Appreciate all the info guys

·
Registered
217 Posts
After the installation of the timing belt, start the engine and run a little to see if there is any leak.. use a flash light to check .. make sure you have support underneath the engine when doing this.... Then you can put the timing cover and motor mount .... you should be fine..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Aisin water pumps are the best. I forget which kit I bought but in the description it said all components were made in Japan. Apparently they were except the water pump which was made in China. Anyway, Aisin makes OEM stuff for many Japanese manufacturers including Mitsubishi and Toyota. Doesnt matter where you get it, just look for the name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a guy name JohnnyGT with a good tutorial on youtube for replacing the timing belt.
This is the link..
You can watch that and replace yours..
My family basically long life mechanics, advise me not to do the job personally and pay a shop to do it. Reason being they say timing not something you wanna mess with unless you really know what your doing. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Not sure, I’m sure it would be fun and equally aggravating but might just pay and be safe.. at least shops offer guarantees on work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fixing car is not complicated nowadays due to all available data and information..
We always go to the mechanics on the good old days..
Tools are available and instruction/recommendations are everywhere..
You just need to have common sense and follow the process.. it's not rocket science..
The other thing is do not rush.. rush into fixing will make you to forget stuff..
You can do it.. just invest time on the car.. and it will help you understand the car better..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixing car is not complicated nowadays due to all available data and information..
We always go to the mechanics on the good old days..
Tools are available and instruction/recommendations are everywhere..
You just need to have common sense and follow the process.. it's not rocket science..
The other thing is do not rush.. rush into fixing will make you to forget stuff..
You can do it.. just invest time on the car.. and it will help you understand the car better..
My Main Concern is making sure I don’t jump any teeth on the timing belt and makesure I put the belt back exactly how it was put. Any veteran advice for making sure my timing belt stays set, so I don’t blow my engine. 2nd thing I don’t have a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts, scare might over tighten/ strip bolts. Any info helps 👍🏽

·
Registered
217 Posts
Torque wrench you can buy from amazon, part store or even Harbor Freight..
Watch JohnnyGT video and you should be fine..
If you run into any obstacle during the installation, stop and post in here. We will help you out..
Let me tell you this. If I can do it, you can do it..:D:D:D
Sabertooth and a few other veteran in here are really good..
Don't be afraid.... Watch the video thorough and you can do it..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Torque wrench you can buy from amazon, part store or even Harbor Freight..
Watch JohnnyGT video and you should be fine..
If you run into any obstacle during the installation, stop and post in here. We will help you out..
Let me tell you this. If I can do it, you can do it..:D:D:D
Sabertooth and a few other veteran in here are really good..
Don't be afraid.... Watch the video thorough and you can do it..
Ok thanks for the encouragement confidence gained 🤝
Question: any tip or trick to Guarantee I won’t mis-timing Or jump teeth ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you don't have the grinder, use medium grit scotch brite pad. Dry the area completely or you won’t get a good seal when installing the new water pump.
After drying, take another look to make sure it's clean without any residues then you're good to to..

Sample of Clean surface..

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Vehicle Gas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts