Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
What coolant do I need to put in my 2007 GT? My manual isn't very helpful, and I don't want to wreck anything. I am planning on doing a flush like in this video:

https://youtu.be/s--5ft5YiHg

Thanks in advance for your help!
You just need regular green ethylene glycol coolant. It will likely be labeled as "Conventional." Avoid the red/orange stuff (it'll say compatible with DEXCOOL). Depending on your auto parts store, you might also see stuff that's specifically labeled just for Hondas, Toyotas, or Vee Dubs. There's also "universal" coolant which is supposed to be compatible with anything, but I'd only buy that if I needed to top off a car and didn't know what to get. Just avoid all that stuff and look for the conventional coolant.

The next thing is that you can get premixed 50/50 coolant, which is already diluted, or concentrated/regular/full strength coolant, which you have to mix 50/50 with distilled water (NOT tap water). They should be pretty clearly labeled. All the premixed stuff has a big "50/50" on it.

The premixed stuff is a lot easier since you can just pour it straight from the jug, but it costs way more (it'll be a couple bucks less, which seems fine until you figure you need twice as much of it).

Your auto parts store will probably have some coolant that's labeled as "extended life" and is supposedly good for 150K. If you're planning on regular flushes you probably don't need the extended life, but you might want to spring for it. It just has some extra corrosion inhibitors. The factory fill is supposedly "extended life" (though not 150K extended) and if you want to go OEM, the Mitsu part number is MZ311986. You could order some online, or pay too much at the dealer if you really want to. But you'll be just fine with whatever AutoZone/NAPA/O'Reilly's has on the shelf.

TL;DR? Just look for "Conventional" coolant, and get either full strength and some DI H2O, or the 50/50 premix. Or order some MZ311986 if you want to be super anal. Happy flushing.

P.S. I friggin' love Chris Fix.

Edit: effed up the Mitsu part number originally.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just need regular green ethylene glycol coolant. It will likely be labeled as "Conventional." Avoid the red/orange stuff (it'll say compatible with DEXCOOL). Depending on your auto parts store, you might also see stuff that's specifically labeled just for Hondas, Toyotas, or Vee Dubs. There's also "universal" coolant which is supposed to be compatible with anything, but I'd only buy that if I needed to top off a car and didn't know what to get. Just avoid all that stuff and look for the conventional coolant.

The next thing is that you can get premixed 50/50 coolant, which is already diluted, or concentrated/regular/full strength coolant, which you have to mix 50/50 with distilled water (NOT tap water). They should be pretty clearly labeled. All the premixed stuff has a big "50/50" on it.

The premixed stuff is a lot easier since you can just pour it straight from the jug, but it costs way more (it'll be a couple bucks less, which seems fine until you figure you need twice as much of it).

Your auto parts store will probably have some coolant that's labeled as "extended life" and is supposedly good for 150K. If you're planning on regular flushes you probably don't need the extended life, but you might want to spring for it. It just has some extra corrosion inhibitors. The factory fill is supposedly "extended life" (though not 150K extended) and if you want to go OEM, the Mitsu part number is MZ311986. You could order some online, or pay too much at the dealer if you really want to. But you'll be just fine with whatever AutoZone/NAPA/O'Reilly's has on the shelf.

TL;DR? Just look for "Conventional" coolant, and get either full strength and some DI H2O, or the 50/50 premix. Or order some MZ311986 if you want to be super anal. Happy flushing.

Thanks for the info! I also love Chis Fix, he is really good at explaining things in depth.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

This was really helpful and informative. I'm not even looking for coolant but I learned something. +rep Thanks Jim!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just did a flush today, actually :cool2:

I use basically what ChrisFix used, but I get concentrated (red cap) and mix it myself. It costs me about $2 - $3 more than the pre-dilluted, but I get literally twice as much coolant for almost the same price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts