Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 Mitsubishi 4G Eclipse GS, 2.4L I4 engine
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’ve had my Eclipse for about almost 4 years now, close to 136000 miles on it now. I recently just started to engage myself in learning about my car and specs of it, and actually wanting to start customizing it.
What I imagine doing to it is putting money into some mods/parts for the engine I have now (4G69), or swapping it out with a v6 (besides the 4G75, I have no idea what other v6 engines are compatible with my car). Whatever route is better to take, any advice is appreciated with this journey I’m starting.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
191 Posts
Swapping to the 6g75 I would not recommend. It's a great motor, but for the money you'd be spending you'd be better off selling your car and just buying a gt. Don't get me wrong, it is possible, just kinda pointless.

The 4g69 has plenty of potential with enough money, you can easily turbo it and make whatever power your budget can handle. Most guys make an easy 300-400hp. A few of us are above 500. My goal is 600+ whp on mine. That being said, it gets extremely costly very quickly. Plus, you never specified if you're manual or auto. If you have an automatic, then 260hp is your limit. The trans can't handle regardless of what you do. You'd have to swap the trans.

If you don't want to go that route, there are plenty of options for swaps. Swaps are a misunderstood thing. You really can put just about any engine into any car with enough time and money. There's a twin turbo ls 4g eclipse. Alex did a 2jz swap into his. There's also a handful of guys who have thrown the 4g63t in there. Certain swaps are easier than others, but unless you have years of experience and all the fabrication tools at your disposal... then none of them will be easy.

Overall, I don't know what your skill level is, but if you're just getting to learn about your car then I would suggest getting a cold air intake, headers, exhaust, underdrive pulley, and then have Alex Kazmirchuk tune it. That will really help you learn the car and how it works.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well unless you go V6 or forced induction you won't be making any major power gains. Outside of a reflash, none that are going to really recoup the cost. That being said, the 4G has a very strong chassis since it was shared with the Endeavor SUV. And realistically, Mitsubishi actually did a good job on the suspension tuning in my opinion. Bit tall in the ride height but its mannerisms are pretty good for a heavy FWD. The chassis is very comfortable and stable at high speeds. Despite the cheap plastics, the cockpit is fairly well thought out and actually very comfortable to be in for extended driving. They are very reliable if taken care of too.

If I had a GS I would double down on the exotic body styling, make it look sexy and maybe work on the grip/agility for spunky times. I still about break my neck when I see a 4G....16 years after it came out. They are just good looking cars man. First I would make sure my maintenance is done. Then I think some tasteful cosmetics like a nice set of wheels that compliment the paint color, a good deep detail clean inside + outside, and I would do what I could for any blemishes. That would make me a pretty happy GS owner. Match those wheels with some good tires, maybe a Progress rear anti roll bar, fresh 4 wheel alignment, and toss in some reasonable brake pads for the street and just enjoy the ride. I could still have a whole lot of fun in a GS, especially if I had the manual. And I would look damn good everywhere I went.

I am a proponent of "rather drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow". A lot of times in high performance cars (I have found), the capabilities are so far above what you can attain on the street they become boring. My modded GT is sort of at that point. I drove a 370z and it was a bore on the street. Brake pads and an oil cooler and those things are pretty much track ready. Drive my friends C6 Z51 and its better because it has a Borla LS V8, but you only use such a small fraction of their performance you really just put around in high performance cars. I drove an FRS/GT86 when the gen 1 came out the same weekend I drove the 370Z. Take that for a daily/street car over the Z, I liked it a lot better for the street. I have also had multiple Miatas and they are the funnest little shits there are. It is so much more exhilarating to wring out a slower car and feel like your doing mach 1...when you aren't. You are using so much more of the fractional performance that its more engaging and fun.

I recommend enjoying a GS as ^above^ for a while and then decide if you want to take the plunge into more power. Especially if you are new to vehicle modding. The return on investment for performance upgrades usually gets pretty bad really fast. If you do take the plunge, the 4G69 really is an improved 4G63 from the specs I have read, they take to boost very well as Slow4G and Sabertooth can both attest. A boosted GS will crush a naturally aspirated GT in power and be way cheaper than trying to swap it.

Sorry for the long post, I am procrastinating doing my homework. Just thought I would share my opinion, take from it what you will and good luck on the journey(y)

Reactions: Sabertooth^2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts