Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all,

My tranny is kinda leaking just a tiny bit and the bottom "metal holder" (my guess it's an oil pan or whatever), is banged up a bit (I guess from a collision before I bought it).

So my question is - what is that "metal holder" part called (marked red in the photo attached) so I can try ant get a new one. And if anyone would know where to get it - would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I get a new gasket for it and be done with it?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As always, James is first. Thanks, as I figured, it's an oil pan and already found one seller on ebay for it, thou pricey.. over a hundred bucks. And nice tip on the RTV!

Kyle, its 4cyl auto :)

If you know someone who's selling their 4g for parts, I would appreciate the tip - maybe I can get that oil pan cheaper than a new one costs.

·
2,690 Posts
As always, James is first. Thanks, as I figured, it's an oil pan and already found one seller on ebay for it, thou pricey.. over a hundred bucks. And nice tip on the RTV!

Kyle, its 4cyl auto :)

If you know someone who's selling their 4g for parts, I would appreciate the tip - maybe I can get that oil pan cheaper than a new one costs.
Ok thanks for that info, I wanted to know because I also have the 4 cyl auto and my trans oil pan gasket is wet just like yours and I couldn’t find the seals online for it anywhere, I assumed it was all just discontinued, mine only leaves a small spot on the driveway once it’s been parked with no driving for at least 2 or 3 weeks, which is something to think about with this virus and not much driving being done, I’d be concerned about your battery going down too, keep an eye on it

Btw I really slowed my leak down by sucking out the old trans fluid and putting new trans fluid in, not a full flush but a partial exchange, you’ll get all that out when you take off the pan anyway

The fluid gets thin once it gets old and used and can leak easier than newer thicker fluid

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for that info, I wanted to know because I also have the 4 cyl auto and my trans oil pan gasket is wet just like yours and I couldn’t find the seals online for it anywhere, I assumed it was all just discontinued, mine only leaves a small spot on the driveway once it’s been parked with no driving for at least 2 or 3 weeks, which is something to think about with this virus and not much driving being done, I’d be concerned about your battery going down too, keep an eye on it

Btw I really slowed my leak down by sucking out the old trans fluid and putting new trans fluid in, not a full flush but a partial exchange, you’ll get all that out when you take off the pan anyway

The fluid gets thin once it gets old and used and can leak easier than newer thicker fluid
Hey, Kyle, thanks for the input and info! :)

I think I'll just take it off and reseal it and hope it won't rust out on me completely through those rusty banged up parts :)

New oilpan is like ~$110

btw, they make the gaskets and you can buy one on rockauto.com, but as James said, RTV should be a better solution.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,2008,eclipse,2.4l+l4,1440138,transmission-automatic,oil+pan+gasket,8612

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hold up. That pan is on my to do list. You can get the OEM one on average for $65. Fel Pro makes a gasket for it for $5. If you wanna get fancy and go without the car for a little bit, you can remove the pan and bring it to a shop to get cleaned up and re painted. Just make sure you cover the trans valve body and don't get anything in there if you remove the pan.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Chris,

For $65-ish I would take one and don't think twice about it, but online they are twice the price.. and I'm not from US, so i can't check junkyards or other shops :( so I might resort to re-sealing it and as you say, get fancy and repaint it :) Just worried about the rust and damage that was done to it.. the pan itself seems thick enough to withstand a lot more years of rust, but would not want to risk all that.. If you know a place that sells these for price you mentioned, let me know!

Thanks for the input.

Happy Easter, all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts