Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,975 Posts
You have to take the bumper off, use plastic to cover up the outside and painters tape it down, then wet sand the area you're going to paint, clean it, and paint it and clear coat

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did mine without taking off the bumper and just used painters tape and plastic bags, started with three light coats, and continued to put on heavier and heavier coats till I liked how it looked, finished it off with clear coat. Waited 10 mins between each coat.
I just used the basic "Plasti Dip" brand plasti dip you can find at Walmart or Home Depot.
Have fun with the paint its gonna look great.

·
1,975 Posts
If you don't take the bumper off you'll just cause nasty massive overspray onto the radiator and such
And I hate plasti dip, if you've ever tried to remove it you will hate it too

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you don't take the bumper off you'll just cause nasty massive overspray onto the radiator and such
And I hate plasti dip, if you've ever tried to remove it you will hate it too
I see where you’re coming from, but I just stuffed my radiator a shit ton of newspaper to make sure there was no overspray.
A friend of mine plasti dipped his rims and the removal was not very difficult, but I see what u mean

·
Registered
1 Posts
paint is definetly a good route to go if you're sure you are never gonna want to go back (obviously)
if you want to see how you feel about it, grab some cheap vinyl wrap on amazon for 10-20$ and see how you like it,
higher quality wrap would be great too if you wanted it permanent. Plastidip is easy, texture might look a bit weird over such a large area though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can just tape off and paint with the "bonds to be plastic" paint they sell nowadays. I use it and it really works well, no sanding needed or primer, looks professional if you're patient and know what you're doing. Also, I recently did this to mine......
I bought an entire front bumper cover off eBay for 100 bucks and cut it to fit as a "cap" or cover, then bolted it on with black bodywork bolts. I prefer the look to just changing the color itself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts