Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips to cut weight I’m thinking about ditching the useless back seat while keeping the upper portion to save the nice subwoofer and getting a nice set of racing seats to cut weight specifically. can anybody recommend some nice seats that are light and affordable and maybe a little comfortable.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
191 Posts
The rear seats weigh 25 lbs tops. So you really won't see a difference there. I think the heated front seats weigh like 60 lbs or something and the regular ones don't weigh a whole lot. Unless you get some actual racing seats, you're really not gonna cut much weight especially if you dont take the sub out. I stripped the interior from the front seats back and maybe lost a little over 100 lbs and now I hear every noise on the road. When I drove in the rain, I could barely hear my passenger talk over the sound of my exhaust and the water smacking the bottom of the car. Unless you're building a track car, in my opinion at least, there are more downsides than benefits. But ultimately it'll come down to your preference.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,038 Posts
I had no interior panels but a dash and cluster in my GS for a while. Beyond that, tons of other stuff ditched. It was 2800lbs though. No lightweight parts, just stuff removed. Sunroof car though

My GT has nothing but metal in the cabin, and I've cut a lot of frame out. I've added quite a bit of tube frame, but it's still likely the lightest GT.

For racing seats, I like Corbeau. About the same weight as Sparco, half the price, fits my shoulders. Sparco XL seats don't fit me even... And my girlfriend finds the bottom too narrow. The Corbeau, most people like who've sat in mine.

The back seat is about 15lbs with the backs. The base you're talking about removing is about 5lbs. It's nothing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loosing 2-300 lbs ditching back seat I do have heated leather automatic seats so two racing seats I already ditched the jack and spare I don’t drive it far I ditched the cover over the filler neck cause the new brackets didn’t line up when I replaced it… beauty cover tossed 3ozs any other useless parts? I want to ditch the ac too is there anyway to get rid of the compressor completely?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the good 18” Mitsubishi wheels too still in pretty good shape is they’re a lighter better wheel out there these seem pretty decent and strong

·
Basically Stock
7,038 Posts
Under the center console you'll find a steel plate. That's got to be 5lbs there of easy loss without affecting the interior. Heat shields can all be tossed, saves a few pounds. Aftermarket coilovers drop about 5lbs per corner. Yes you can find significantly lighter rims. Fast Wheels FC04 are a cheap go to flow formed rim. They should be stronger than stock, and lighter than stock.

How permanent of weight loss, and how intrusive are you looking to go?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely want to ditch ac the compressor I’m definitely checking out those corbereau seats I found vented fenders for the front driver and passenger side a vented carbon fiber magneto hood ditching the heat shields sounds good 1 of this is driving me nuts rattling when I park it pointed down hill plate under the center consol and rear seat gone

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How easy are the corbreau brackets I actually found two sparco brackets but if those ones bolt in easy it sounds good

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the big heat ac console too do I need that I’d like just hot air and outside air I crank the heat in the summer with the top down just to keep under the hood cool it actually don’t bother me I point the vents up and out I don’t know if it helps the temp gauge reads a little less than half and stays there pretty good

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That all sounds good expensive but good tires and wheels and coilovers some loose parts gone vented fenders I think theyre fiberglass carbon fiber hood two racing seats 1/2 tank of gas 1 quart low on oil ditch the back seat and I want to delete ac if you can give me tips on that if it’s even possible

·
Basically Stock
7,038 Posts
The vented fenders are probably the fiberglass ones which weigh more than stock. You're better off cutting the factory fender if you want to vent the wheel arches (I'll be doing that on my GT)

You could remove the AC coils from the blower assembly, yes.

If you're worried about engine bay heat, cutting a vent in the front of the hood (NOT the back) will help it cool significantly. And if you don't drive the car in the cold or wet, you could remove the whole heater assembly. It's quite heavy. But then you can't defrost/defog the windows and will be stuck using a rag on a stick

I didn't use Corbeau or Sparco brackets. I also don't have sliders on my seats. They're hard mounted to the floor on some side mount universal brackets made of 1/8" steel.

Running 1qt of oil low is definitely not worth the 2lbs saved to wreck your engine the first time you take a long hard turn.

For running less fuel, you'll be best off with a fuel cell. The stock tank has a little bit of a surge tank setup, but I've run mine dry before at 1/3 tank.

Still though, how far are you looking to go, and how permanent?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t know that all sounds pretty good what about the ac compressor could I rig and extra pulley in its place or am I stuck with the squealing dead pos till I put a new one on

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t know I have this idea in my head like it’s an old roadster and it doesn’t need anything but a strong engine four wheels and a couple seats anything else is just extra B.S I guess a transmission I like the automatic I don’t think mine was trashed even the oil looked pretty good… a stick shift would have been awesome but you wouldn’t believe how many people can’t drive them anymore. I lost a good celica gt to that

·
Basically Stock
7,038 Posts
Ok, so carpets out, rear seats out (could make a wooden divider behind the seats and a shelf so it looks right, could even put a lid on the shelf for storage under it. But that's weight added back in), all plastics panels out, coilovers, no AC, can remove the entire dashboard plastic and have just the metal structure (you'll need to make a mount for the HVAC control if you keep the heater core, and an instrument cluster mounting bracket), remove the clock/temperature/compass display, cut the rear seat mounting tabs, cut out the cargo net tabs in the back, remove engine cover, cold air intake or short ram, cut the AC compressor bracket on the block, lighter rims, sports tires like Hankook RS4 (fairly light, best track tire that won't break the bank, streetable without fast wear), no headliner, no sunroof, no fog lights, lighter bucket seats (will trigger SRS code like removing an airbag), stainless steel exhaust (saves about 2lbs vs mild steel when going 14g mild vs 16g stainless), catless headers. Fuel cell. I wouldn't suggest removing the bumper mounts/crash beams unless you have another custom system in place to replicate the same, or don't plan to street drive. But it's an option if applicable.

Most of that is non permanent.

More permanent, you'd be looking at cutting sections of frame and floor out, and adding lighter bracing instead. The stock stuff is heavy, but it's because it has to give usable cargo space. Nobody likes a trunk with a spaghetti of bracing through it. If you're going to cut the frame rails, brace the body skin with some 3/8" rod or similar. first. It WILL want to shift.

·
Registered
2006 GT Manual.
104 Posts
Based on his name hes running a spyder. Remove everything that has to do with the roof. Pull all the rest of the glass out. Replace the windshield with polycarb.

·
Basically Stock
7,038 Posts
Based on his name hes running a spyder. Remove everything that has to do with the roof. Pull all the rest of the glass out. Replace the windshield with polycarb.
Poly windshields are low life, even with the hard coatings added. Probably not the best move on a street driven car. Even track toys, a lot of guys still run glass to cut down on costs

Look at motorcycle windshields for reference (or see how easily safety glasses scratch)

·
Registered
2006 GT Manual.
104 Posts
I am not saying putting in poly windows is a good idea. I'm saying if you want to save weight its one way to go.

There are a lot of things you can do to lighten up a car. Are most of them smart for a street car? Probably not. Are most of them street legal? In a lot of the US probably not. Is removing the seats and disabling safety systems that are built into them a smart thing? Probably not. Building a race car, sure go ahead.

I live in Pennsylvania. My car is a black hot box. Is removing any aspect of the hvac system something smart for me? No not really. In the summer it has been over 125 degrees in my car. disabling the a/c is brutal. Its currently 31 degrees outside. Heat is essential.

Based on name alone he is starting with the heaviest version of these cars to start with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup I’m trying mostly to make up the weight difference that’s all good stuff… how do you get the ac out just by a smaller belt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts