Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I highly suggest if your going to run wear a knee brace or wrap your knee's for extra support . Running puts a lot of wear on the knee and having knee problems I encourage all to try to protect the knee as much as possible. So if your going to run take some extra measures to reduce it as much as you can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Not true.
Running actually strengthens the muscles around the knee and it builds bone mass that will help your knees when you grow old.

Now, if you don't have proper form and/or shoes, you probably will get injured. As well as going too fast, and increasing the mileage too fast.

Anyone use map my run?

I actually use my Garmin, and then I upload everything to Strava.

Strava is in my opinion the best app out there for running.
You also have Nike+ and RunKeeper.

But, they're all valid options :)

If you have any questions, let me know!

Not true.
Running actually strengthens the muscles around the knee and it builds bone mass that will help your knees when you grow old.

Now, if you don't have proper form and/or shoes, you probably will get injured. As well as going too fast, and increasing the mileage too fast.
Not true.
While you build muscles, your joints pay the toll.

Not true.
While you build muscles, your joints pay the toll.
Really... Running actually strengthens your muscles, while also strengthening your ligaments, thus relieving stress from your joints.

Of course, if you are overweight, running might not be your best choice to lose the weight. Dieting, cycling, swimming would be better options.

I've had zero knee related injuries and I've completed plenty of half and full marathons. Currently run roughly 150+ miles every month. So, what you're saying, is technically invalid.

Study: Running Not so Bad for Your Joints After All - TIME

Why Running Is Good For Your Joints | Runner's World

Really... Running actually strengthens your muscles, while also strengthening your ligaments, thus relieving stress from your joints.

Of course, if you are overweight, running might not be your best choice to lose the weight. Dieting, cycling, swimming would be better options.

I've had zero knee related injuries and I've completed plenty of half and full marathons. Currently run roughly 150+ miles every month. So, what you're saying, is technically invalid.

Study: Running Not so Bad for Your Joints After All - TIME

Why Running Is Good For Your Joints | Runner's World

Hmmm interesting .every runner I've ever met had knee problems but one . The one that didn't said he always wrapped his knee prior to each run.

My knee surgeon warned me against it as well.

Still regardless probably couldn't hurt to have a little extra support .

Also what kind of place your running likely factors in as well. Some surfaces are harder impact than other .

Hmmm interesting .every runner I've ever met had knee problems but one . The one that didn't said he always wrapped his knee prior to each run.

My knee surgeon warned me against it as well.

Still regardless probably couldn't hurt to have a little extra support .

Also what kind of place your running likely factors in as well. Some surfaces are harder impact than other .

Again, there are the factors of what kind of shoes you're wearing, how proper your form is, and like you said, the kind of terrain you run in.

I used to have knee problems when playing soccer in HS and college. Main reason I quit was because I got injured too much. I've been running ever since, and I've had zero major injuries. The minor ones have not even been related to my knees, joints, or ligaments (ACL, LCL).

But, again, if you believe some support will help your knee, you might need some support on your feet first (more cushion) :)

I actually use my Garmin, and then I upload everything to Strava.

Strava is in my opinion the best app out there for running.
You also have Nike+ and RunKeeper.

But, they're all valid options :)

If you have any questions, let me know!
Nike+ was my main running app for over a year. I recently started heart rate training, and the Nike app didn't support it where MapMyRun did, so I switched.

I've always been a natural runner. I picked up boxing this year, so I've given my fitness a +1 since new years. Dropped from 167lbs, to 151lbs in two months.

Here's my latest run

Nike+ was my main running app for over a year. I recently started heart rate training, and the Nike app didn't support it where MapMyRun did, so I switched.

I've always been a natural runner. I picked up boxing this year, so I've given my fitness a +1 since new years. Dropped from 167lbs, to 151lbs in two months.

Here's my latest run

Not bad at all! Looks like you have some speed!
I also train based on my HR, and if followed correctly and consistently, you'll see tons of results.
I have an extra Garmin HRM if you need it.
What are your goals? Just overall fitness or any races in mind?

Thanks Gabriel.... I'm good with my polar monitor at the moment. My overall goal is simply to perform. Primary focus is boxing, so building strong lean muscles is my focus at the moment. Once the season winds down, it will be back to building muscle and strength. I also inline speed skate, and do enjoy the occasional 5-10k runs that are done locally.... but when it comes down to it, I just want to be a well rounded athlete that can do well in any activity that comes along.

Thanks Gabriel.... I'm good with my polar monitor at the moment. My overall goal is simply to perform. Primary focus is boxing, so building strong lean muscles is my focus at the moment. Once the season winds down, it will be back to building muscle and strength. I also inline speed skate, and do enjoy the occasional 5-10k runs that are done locally.... but when it comes down to it, I just want to be a well rounded athlete that can do well in any activity that comes along.

Good stuff, brother! Good luck with everything!

I used to run 12-15 miles per week when training for OCS, got to running a 3 mile in just over 20flat. This coming from a guy who still thumped out 30 pullups, running is not my strong suit to say the least lol. It took so much to get to that speed, but slow and progressive it was. Like said before, form is really more important. After you train for a significant time you realize your body moves and has a different posture than it used to when running. I ended up trashing my leg again about a year ago and changed how i run when i started rehabbing. I don't let my heels touch the ground...ever...try it. Its hell on our calves for a while, but it takes the impact out of the joints and places it into muscles/tendon. It also forces you to use/strengthen more postural muscles to keep yourself in an upright form. My friend's doctor had her run with toe shoes and no heelstriking to fix some back and muscle imbalance issues she was having. I tried it and like it a lot more, and it gives you some sinister calves :naughty:

I run 15-20 miles a week. Combination of running during pt at work and my own. I use the map my run app sometimes. Mainly run on street though I try to get at least 3 miles off it just to change up the scenery.

I hate running long distance. I've never had good stamina, even when I forced myself to run. I'd much rather bike, but as far as burning calories, running is more effective for me.

I'm going to start running again soon though. I usually run in New Balance shoes can anybody recommended a shoe with better support? I am flat-footed.

I used to run 12-15 miles per week when training for OCS, got to running a 3 mile in just over 20flat. This coming from a guy who still thumped out 30 pullups, running is not my strong suit to say the least lol. It took so much to get to that speed, but slow and progressive it was. Like said before, form is really more important. After you train for a significant time you realize your body moves and has a different posture than it used to when running. I ended up trashing my leg again about a year ago and changed how i run when i started rehabbing. I don't let my heels touch the ground...ever...try it. Its hell on our calves for a while, but it takes the impact out of the joints and places it into muscles/tendon. It also forces you to use/strengthen more postural muscles to keep yourself in an upright form. My friend's doctor had her run with toe shoes and no heelstriking to fix some back and muscle imbalance issues she was having. I tried it and like it a lot more, and it gives you some sinister calves :naughty:
No heel striking :) That mainly causes knee problems. If you're heel striking, you're most likely over striding. Those "Toe shoes" are like minimalist shoes. Zero drop from heel to toe, which can force you to land with your midfoot and take off as you should. But, they can cause injury quicker if you continue heel striking and you don't correct your form!

I run 15-20 miles a week. Combination of running during pt at work and my own. I use the map my run app sometimes. Mainly run on street though I try to get at least 3 miles off it just to change up the scenery.
That's awesome. 15-20 miles can get you in sort of decent shape!

I hate running long distance. I've never had good stamina, even when I forced myself to run. I'd much rather bike, but as far as burning calories, running is more effective for me.

I'm going to start running again soon though. I usually run in New Balance shoes can anybody recommended a shoe with better support? I am flat-footed.
I am flat-footed as well and there isn't really a shoe for "flat-footed" people. I've tried Saucony, Brooks and I had some issues with both. One wasn't cushiony enough, and the other just had a really weird design that messed with my ankle and IT band.

I tried out Newton Running about a year ago, and I've had zero shoe related injuries. So, I stuck with them and completed many half marathons recently with the "Elite".

I would recommend the Brooks Ghost for starters... Cushiony, good support and it's a great shoe overall. But, just get fitted at a local running store. They'll see you walk and check if you over pronate and what not. But, they'll most likely put you in Brooks! It's really a trial and error thing, you really can't be sure if you like the shoe unless if you've put a good 20-50 miles in them.:bigthumb:

I am flat-footed as well and there isn't really a shoe for "flat-footed" people. I've tried Saucony, Brooks and I had some issues with both. One wasn't cushiony enough, and the other just had a really weird design that messed with my ankle and IT band.

I tried out Newton Running about a year ago, and I've had zero shoe related injuries. So, I stuck with them and completed many half marathons recently with the "Elite".

I would recommend the Brooks Ghost for starters... Cushiony, good support and it's a great shoe overall. But, just get fitted at a local running store. They'll see you walk and check if you over pronate and what not. But, they'll most likely put you in Brooks! It's really a trial and error thing, you really can't be sure if you like the shoe unless if you've put a good 20-50 miles in them.:bigthumb:
Ok. I was in my Vibram 5Fingers and New Balance last time I was running consistently. I will check out the Brooks Ghost though. Thanks!

EDIT: Just did a Shoe Finder on runnersworld.com and it also recommended asics gel-cumulus and brooks adrenaline. Does anybody have any experience with these?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.