Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I have a fully loaded Eclipse GT, which I bought brand new in 2012 (late 2012). I love the car but the only thing I didn't like was the color, (Silver).

I traded in my jet-black 2008 GT (which had no extra options and was ‘stripped’) for this one. Among the reasons why I got a great deal on this silver 2012 was because that I kept refusing the dealer’s ever-dropping price offer, (I just didn't like the color).

Finally, he went so low that I would have been a fool not to go with it. My wife & I decided we could get it painted one day after we bought it. I’ve only clocked about 10,600 miles on it.

My wife died about 2 months ago so I have two vehicles. The other vehicle is a 2016, 4-wheel drive, Jeep.

I’m not in any hurry to sell my Eclipse GT and recently decided to make plans to have it repainted black.

I haven’t even looked at what it would cost to do that yet, let alone whom I was going to have it done by.

However, someone suggested that I might greatly affect the price if I change the color that it was registered in and possibly lose $3 to $5K on the potential sale.

Is that a real concern? I mean, how much could I potentially lose if I repainted my Eclipse GT black instead of the original silver?

I guess I need to know what the potential selling price for a fully loaded 2012 GT, with 10.6K and no accidents is.

I know that it has a few small scratches in the front of the car from small stones and the wheels will definitely need to be replaced, (which would be changed when I had it painted).

A paint job wouldn’t hurt but I rather not repaint it silver, (I never liked that color).

Anyone have any idea of how I would affect the selling price, (if at all), by repainting it black instead of the original silver?
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry for your loss,
The only way you would maybe lose value from painting is if you leave anything visible silver, case in point a macco $300 paint job. Otherwise you wouldn't be affecting the value.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,058 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been terrible

As for the car, build it for you, and not the next owner. It's yours, not theirs.

As for actual value changes, definitely not around here. People tend to up the price of a car if it has a fresh coat of paint. Just make sure it's a good paint job. It'll probably be in the $3000 area, and get a nice thick clearcoat done.

Overall value would be an oddball to figure out. It's very rare to find one with that low of mileage, but it's not a car that people tend to buy to let it sit around.

·
2,510 Posts
I’d say a fresh paint job on an old Eclipse 4G, which Mitsubishi OEM paint wasn’t the greatest on to begin with, would definitely increase the value of the car *if* you get the repaint done 1. Properly at a professional auto shop and 2. Only the original color of the car

If you change the color from any color other than what it was originally or a cheap Maaco paint job or something put on, then I hope you’re doing so for your pleasure and not planning on reselling after that, or taking a huge hit on it’s potential value, people don’t like cars that are painted a different color than original, unless you’re selling cheap

And also with that low of miles and I assume a garage queen car it’s whole life, isn’t the OEM paint, albeit not the greatest to begin with, perfect still? I’d keep it original if so; it’s one thing to repaint an old ratted out 200,000 mile car with rust spots, rock chips, sun bleach, etc, but not yours

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, sincere condolences! I agree with Sabertooth, it's your car, enjoy it and make it what you want it to be! Without a high end paint job, you could be looking at a loss in resale value, might be worth getting estimates on a wrap instead. I've never done it myself, but at least it's not permanent and could cost less than a premium paint job. Good luck!

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all!
In fact, you couldn't fit a bicycle in my garage, lol!

The Eclipse I have has some small Nick's from small stones kicked up by cars/trucks in front of me. The truth is that if I get the car painted, the likelyhood that I will sell it will not be very good.

If I have it painted and replace the wheels, then I!m not going to sell it for at least another 3 years.
Thanks again! 🙂
Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts