Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Right now? I probably wouldn't. GTs take 93 octane.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
241 Posts
Right now I am looking at a 06 GT manual and just wanted to know if it would be a good daily. The guy said he just replaced the timing bet.
I think they would make for a great daily. They're not fast, but they have enough pep to keep you entertained. They're super reliable, only thing I'd worry about is what was already mentioned, that they take 93. With the current issues with gas prices that would be the only concern. Otherwise, if you know how to drive a manual, I think it would be a pretty good one.

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse GT
139 Posts
I think they would make for a great daily. They're not fast, but they have enough pep to keep you entertained. They're super reliable, only thing I'd worry about is what was already mentioned, that they take 93. With the current issues with gas prices that would be the only concern. Otherwise, if you know how to drive a manual, I think it would be a pretty good one.
I've used 91 octane for a couple years now. Am I causing damage?

·
TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
241 Posts
I've used 91 octane for a couple years now. Am I causing damage?
91 is perfectly fine. The car is rated for 91 and up. 93 is ideal, but the car can compromise for the 91. Just wouldn't recommend going below 91. Shouldn't cause any immediate damage, but I personally wouldn't take the risk.

But, long story short, you're perfectly fine to continue using 91. But, 93 will be better for it.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,512 Posts
GTs in good shape can hit 100% octane value on 91. If yours takes 93, it needs work. Difference on my GT with 91 vs 94 octane was about 3whp, including a different tune between the two. Weather was quite similar both days. So remember, that's dyno tuned, and a tune specific to the fuel, for a 3whp gain on my bolt on GT. It's less change than you get at noon hour vs 9pm.

As for if it's a good daily... They can be very reliable cars when maintained. Timing and oil changes, and not running 5w-20 are the best ways to keep it healthy. 5w-30 is a much better way to go.

Fuel economy wise, they're not fantastic, but do have a fairly long 6th gear. Depending on the speeds you travel, the GS may be a better option. Eg, 60mph, GS. 80mph, I feel it's a crapshoot. City, the GS will win every time.

EDIT: Here's the section even from the factory service manual
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Publication

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok here you go
I have a 06 4g Gt 6 speed, honestly the best car I bought.. between looks and performance it’s a great deal. Now agreed gas prices today are high almost 6 dollars in FL. It roughly takes 60-70 dollars to fill up on 93 octane but before I put my exhaust and cat delete, on a light foot I could almost make it the whole week on one tank of gas and I drive an 35 min going and back on the highway every day to work. If you have the passion and love for these cars like me you just pay it, even the 4 cil version most likely takes at least 50 to fill might as well have the extra power especially if your into the tuning/JDM stuff then yea can’t go wrong
Even the nice lady at domino’s is rocking one 👍🏽
Car Vehicle Plant Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, how reliable would it be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on the driver, if you keep your car up to date oil change, filter, spark plugs etc. Run 5w-30 high mileage like buddy said it’s better for the engine. It will run for long just don’t beat the life out of it and red line it everywhere and it’s the best v6 mevec engine Mitsubishi ever put out to be honest, a lot of people engine swap the 6g75 engine into 3gs and mirages n more, solid motors.👍🏽

·
TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
241 Posts
Depends on how you drive it. Floor it everywhere, redlining it, and launching it like a moron... it's not going to last as long. But, if you treat it right and take care of it, drive civil, itll be fantastic. Just keep up with basic maintenance and make sure to keep an eye on the timing belt. I've seen these cars break 200k miles like crazy.

·
Registered
2006 GT Manual.
161 Posts
I have no issues driving my 06 gt every day. Ive been running 89 octane in mine for probably about a decade. I dont race it much anymore. i do 75+mph down the highway all the time. beat the ever living crap out of it when it was new. If im mad i still do on occasion. I can honestly say I havent put that much into it for what i call hard parts. 90% of everything has been maintenance or wear parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts