Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shocked to see this today! Get ready to get flamed in the comments tho.

·
2,862 Posts
Good but sad read, especially the comments

That said, idk if there’s even a new car made today that I would actually want to buy except a Tesla

I’d like an Evo or GT-R but the Evos are old too and expensive, and GT-R’s are expensive and dated

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Jalopnik has never been friendly to the 4G, so this was kinda nice to see. I agree with you, only other car I've seriously considered and shopped was the Evo, and I kinda gave up on that recently.

·
2,862 Posts
Yeah Jalopnik has never been friendly to the 4G, so this was kinda nice to see. I agree with you, only other car I've seriously considered and shopped was the Evo, and I kinda gave up on that recently.
I have my 06 GS auto and a 02 WRX sedan manual

I’m happy with these cars for now, I’d really like an Evo but they’re in WRX land as far as all of them have been beat on or tons of miles and blown up used hard or if not they cost a fortune

It seems all of the Evos cost a fortune no matter what

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,395 Posts
I don't understand the 2G love. It was a flimsy chassis, that's why it was light. And as for being the best, well, it was slower 0-60, slower 1/4 mile, worse cornering, lower top speed, less cargo space, less seating room, worse fuel economy according to the EPA, less reliable by problem reports... It's just the one people want to modify more, which is fair, but that doesn't make it by any stretch the better sports car

As for modern cars I'd buy, I'd rock a TTRS off the lot these days. Or even a TTS. A white TTS will likely be my next purchase. They're easy to pull 400hp and 45mpg out of, and do 11s in the 1/4 with daily driver feel and reliability with the fuel pump, DV, downpipe, and tune it takes to get there.

·
2,862 Posts
I don't understand the 2G love. It was a flimsy chassis, that's why it was light. And as for being the best, well, it was slower 0-60, slower 1/4 mile, worse cornering, lower top speed, less cargo space, less seating room, worse fuel economy according to the EPA, less reliable by problem reports... It's just the one people want to modify more, which is fair, but that doesn't make it by any stretch the better sports car

As for modern cars I'd buy, I'd rock a TTRS off the lot these days. Or even a TTS. A white TTS will likely be my next purchase. They're easy to pull 400hp and 45mpg out of, and do 11s in the 1/4 with daily driver feel and reliability with the fuel pump, DV, downpipe, and tune it takes to get there.
I guess ppl loved the 2G’s because of the turbo for the ones that were turbo, and the ones that were AWD which there were even less, and F&F lol, which hey btw I sat in the real green Eclipse movie car, I have picture proof

Anyway, Saber, u know the Audi TT is discontinued after this year too? What do u choose then as your next choice?

I really wanted an Evo, Focus RS, or something but they all got ditched

Brand new STi or Tesla it is for me if I could have a new car

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vaunted 2G GSX gets heaps of praise now, since so many monster builds created a legend. But I think I've only seen maybe 3 in the wild ever, they just didn't make that many. I think a lot of internet praise is from those who never owned them, and dissed them back in the day when GSX's were kicking ass over Civic Nation and the Camaro crowd. The 2G I owned (RS) was a super cool car, but nowhere near the build quality of the 4G.

Will the 4G be as sought after in 5-10 years? Its life cycle is nearing the 20 year nostalgia point. It's doubtful, but you can never tell. Maybe this article is the first in bringing it back into car scene conscience. For now, I've given up my Evo search for a salvage title 4G 6sp, for the unconscionable trans swap.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,395 Posts
I'll be buying a used MK2 TTS either way. There's no gain to me from buying the car brand new for $60k vs buying it with 100,000km for 15k. $45k in repairs and mods suits me muuuuch better. My next car down the list that I'd consider that's being sold at a dealership may be an A4 Avant. They've grown on me. It definitely wouldn't fill the sports car spot, but used has such better options for those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I actually thought he was pretty fair watching the video. The car he was driving had 150,000 miles on it and he was giving positive comments about power and build quality, and the owner mentioned he’s had no issues from the car, that’s pretty impressive. I agree the interior was built to a price point and the seats are comfortable My car is an 08 Spyder GT automatic, black, black, black, 41,000 miles. I get lots of compliments on it. It’s plenty fast, stops well, and is really fun to drive. I bought it 2 years ago, it was a one owner car, a woman owned it, never modded, always garaged. I don’t have a ton of money in it, and it’s been worth every penny I paid for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts